Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Cambridge Mystery



I put my rucksack down while my friend continued his journey.

“Don!” I called to him, “Please stop for a minute! I’m tired.”
He shook his head, which meant that he wouldn’t let me take a rest for a while. We were best friends and I knew what he liked when we climbed the mountains: to reach the top as fast as he could. Age difference wasn’t a matter in friendship, was it? I was seventeen and he was twenty-two.
“Phil!” Don’s voice broke my thoughts. “Why are you resting? Can’t you see that we almost reach the top?”
I groaned lazily and began to put my rucksack. It was not a long vacation, so I asked him why he wanted to go climbing. He didn’t answer until we reached the top.
“Sorry I’ve been keeping it from you these times: I’m trying to solve the mystery of the murder of Grace Brown.”

It made me a bit angry because I didn’t like mysteries.
My friend took a map out of his rucksack, also a notebook and a pen.
“Wait here when I search for Barbara Pitt. Or, do you want to come along?”
I told him that I wanted to come along.
We arrived in a big house. Unfortunately, it was a bit dirty. A butler opened the gate for us.




“Good morning. I’m looking for Mrs. Pitt. She promised to meet me here,” my friend said.
The butler didn’t say anything but he let us in. We sat in a living room and an old maid came with two cups of black coffee. “Your drinks, gentlemen!”
“Thank you.” I thought she was impolite.
Not too long after, I saw Mrs. Pitt walking towards us. Don tried to be polite to her, but this woman was really annoying.
“Is this your friend, Mr. McCartney?” she asked.
Don pulled me to sit next to him. “Yes, madam. This is Mr. Starkey.”
“How do you do?” I asked Mrs. Pitt.
She didn’t answer. “Let’s begin the interview,” she said impolitely to my friend.
During their interview, I stayed quiet. I tried very hard not to get angry listening to her puffed up answers. She always looked at us just as she would a bug. Finally, it was over. We walked away.


(To be continued…)
By: Maria Rosa & Ninda
Mid-2
Darmokali

No comments:

Post a Comment